Facts About Mercury Toxicity

We Do Not Use Any “Silver” Filling Material For The Following Scientifically Documented Reasons:

Fact: Mercury Silver or amalgam dental fillings contain at least 50 % or more mercury, 35 % silver, and lesser amounts of copper, tin, zinc, and other metals. Since mercury is the major component of the filling material, any representation of the material should include the word “mercury”. Thus, in our office, we refer to them as mercury fillings.

Fact: “Mercury is a powerful poison.” Published research has shown that mercury is more toxic than lead, cadmium,  and even arsenic. Furthermore, there is no known toxic threshold for mercury vapor and world renowned mercury toxicologists have stated that “no amount of exposure to mercury vapor can be considered totally harmless.”

Fact: Scientific research has demonstrated that mercury, even in small amount, can harm the  body in various ways (i.e. organs, glands, blood cells, enzymes and hormones, and even suppress the immune system).  Mercury has been shown to pass through the placental membrane in pregnant women and cause permanent damage to the brain of the developing baby.

Fact: “Mercury is continuously released from dental fillings” in the form of mercury vapor and abraded particles. This process is stimulated and can be increased as much as 15 times by chewing, brushing, drinking hot liquids, etc. Ingestion of mercury can also occur when amalgam fillings deteriorate over time. The World Health Organization recently concluded that the daily intake of mercury from amalgam fillings exceeds the combined daily intake of mercury derived from air, water, and food (including fish).

Fact: The mercury vapor released from mercury dental fillings is absorbed very rapidly and thoroughly in your body primarily by inhalation and swallowing.

Fact: In human autopsy studies, it has been found that there is a direct correlation between the amount of mercury found in the brain and the number and surfaces of mercury fillings found in the teeth.

Fact: Mercury causes normal intestinal microflora to become mercury resistant and antibiotic resistant. Mercury resistant bacteria cause mercury in the intestinal tract to be converted back into vapor and recycled back into the body. Antibiotic resistance is a major medical concern.

Fact: Scientific research has shown high levels of mercury in the brains of individuals who died from Alzheimer’s Disease (AD). Other research is demonstrating mercury can cause similar pathological  effects in the brain as seen in Lou Gehrig’s Disease (ALS), Multiple Sclerosis (MS), and AD.  Laboratory studies of spinal fluid from ALS and AD patients has confirmed that mercury inhibits key brain detoxification enzyme systems.

Establishment Position: The American Dental Association and various agencies of the U. S. Government still support the use of amalgam fillings. They claim they are safe based on 175 years of use and that there is no scientific evidence showing mercury exposure from dental fillings causes any known disease.

Are you wondering if you or your children should have mercury fillings put in your teeth? THAT IS A DECISION ONLY YOU CAN MAKE. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO FREEDOM OF CHOICE AND INFORMED CONSENT.

For more information on this subject, please call our office at (770) 729-1222, we are here to help.

Comments are closed.